The 2017 FIRST Robotics Competition engineering challenge is called FIRST Steamworks .
The 2017 FIRST Robotics Competition steampunk themed game, invites two
adventure clubs from an era in which technology relied on steam power to prepare their airships for the ultimate long distance race. Represented by two three-team alliances, each “adventure club” prepares to take flight in three ways:
1. Build Steam Pressure. Robots collect fuel represented by green balls. They score it in high and low goals in their boiler. As fuel is scored steam pressure in the tank on the alliance’s airship builds – the high goal builds pressure faster than the low goal.
2. Start Rotors. Robots retrieve and deliver gears to pilots on their airship who then
install them on the appropriate rotor. Once a gear train is complete the rotor can be
3. Prepare for Flight. Adventure clubs want their robots to climb aboard their airships so
they can assist the pilots during the race.
Quick Links for Game Resources
- FIRST STEAMWORKS resources
- FIRST Q&A (Official) Forums
- Chief Delphi (Unofficial) Forums
- FIRST Robotics Competition Standards Alignment Map
- Electrical and Software Resources
Here’s how the game works!